From: Sebas Pedersen <sebasped@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] MCE error
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2015 15:45:55
1 On 28-03-2015 09:34 PM, Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
2 > On Sat, Mar 28, 2015 at 07:48:48PM -0300, Sebas Pedersen wrote:
3 >
4 >> >>> bios update/microcode update. A google search suggests that you have
5 >> >>> run into an errata.
6 >> >>
7 >> >> Oh OK, thank you. Must have miss that in the search. So you are saying
8 >> >> that the error comes from a bios errata (and don't know what microdode
9 >> >> is), and the fix is to update bios?
10 >
11 > An “errate” is what Intel calls an error or defect in its hardware, as
12 > far
13 > as I know. Microcode is sort of a “firmware” running in a CPU. For
14 > example,
15 > the TSX feature in Haswells (which was one of the reasons why I chose
16 > my
17 > particular CPU in the first place, grrr) was found to have a bug, so
18 > Intel
19 > produced a microcode update that would simply disable the relevant set
20 > of
21 > instructions.
22 >
23 >> > no, possibly from a CPU errata and a bios update might bring in the
24 >> > microcode update that works around that.
25 >>
26 >> I see, thanks for clarifying that. So looks like not too many options,
27 >> either try to update the bios and/or replace the CPU.
28 >
29 > Not necessarily. The first search hit (“linux update microcode”)
30 > brought me
31 > to ¹, another to ². The latter led me to finding
32 > sys-apps/microcode-ctl,
33 > which might do what you need.
34 >
35 > ¹ https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Microcode
36 > ² http://www.linux-mag.com/id/723/
37
38 Thank you very much for the explanations. Very clear indeed. I'm gonna
39 work around with this microcode stuff and see if that helps.
40
41 I appreciated you reply!