From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] MCE error
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2015 00:34:20
1 On Sat, Mar 28, 2015 at 07:48:48PM -0300, Sebas Pedersen wrote:
2
3 > >>> bios update/microcode update. A google search suggests that you have
4 > >>> run into an errata.
5 > >>
6 > >> Oh OK, thank you. Must have miss that in the search. So you are saying
7 > >> that the error comes from a bios errata (and don't know what microdode
8 > >> is), and the fix is to update bios?
9
10 An “errate” is what Intel calls an error or defect in its hardware, as far
11 as I know. Microcode is sort of a “firmware” running in a CPU. For example,
12 the TSX feature in Haswells (which was one of the reasons why I chose my
13 particular CPU in the first place, grrr) was found to have a bug, so Intel
14 produced a microcode update that would simply disable the relevant set of
15 instructions.
16
17 > > no, possibly from a CPU errata and a bios update might bring in the
18 > > microcode update that works around that.
19 >
20 > I see, thanks for clarifying that. So looks like not too many options,
21 > either try to update the bios and/or replace the CPU.
22
23 Not necessarily. The first search hit (“linux update microcode”) brought me
24 to ¹, another to ². The latter led me to finding sys-apps/microcode-ctl,
25 which might do what you need.
26
27 ¹ https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Microcode
28 ² http://www.linux-mag.com/id/723/
29 --
30 Gruß | Greetings | Qapla’
31 Please do not share anything from, with or about me with any social network.
32
33 “Ask us no questions and we’ll tell you no lies.” – Fred Weasley