From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Applying patches without needing overlays and modifying ebuilds
Date: Sun, 17 May 2009 07:20:55
1 Saphirus Sage wrote:
2 > Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
3 >> Does anyone think that a mechanism of applying patches to a package
4 >> without the need to modify the ebuild of that package would be a
5 >> useful feature? There are cases of useful patches that are not
6 >> accepted by the maintainers of the ebuild (because they have not been
7 >> accepted upstream or other reasons), forcing users to copy ebuilds in
8 >> their overlay and modifying the ebuild there. This turns out to be a
9 >> hassle every time the package receives an update.
10 >>
11 >> What if we could just specify patches to be applied in, say,
12 >> /etc/portage/packages.patch with something like:
13 >>
14 >> media-video/smplayer j-random-hack.patch
15 >>
16 >> and portage would apply that patch automatically? That way, the
17 >> hassle of updating the ebuild of a package in which I use custom
18 >> patches would go away. The patches could be searched for in a
19 >> designated directory, in this example maybe
20 >> /var/portage/patches/media-video/smplayer (or something else entirely.)
21 >>
22 >> Can someone think of a way to set up something like this?
25 > Patches are already stored in a files directory. For instance, it would
26 > be /var/portage/media-video/smplayer/files in your example. Maybe I'm
27 > missing some point you were trying to make.
28
29 The point I'm trying to make is applying patches without even touching
30 the ebuild.