From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Default programs when opening a file
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 04:38:13
1 > > How can I specify which programs I'd like to open a certain type of
2 > > file by default? For example, I'd like videos in PenguinTV to open
3 > > with vlc instead of mplayer. I'm using xfce4.
4 >
5 > Frankly, I don't understand.
6 > - Do you want to know how to specify a default viewer for videos inside
7 > that PenguinTV? That should belong to your application manual.
8 > - Do you want to know how to specify a default viewer for videos in the
9 > XFCE file manager?
10 > - Do you want to know how to specify a defuault viewer for videos,
11 > *whatever* the file manager/program/desktop you are using? I doubt this
12 > is possible (maybe there's an env variable?)
13
14 It turns out I needed to specify the gnome filetype associations.
15 I've been doing that in nataulis with the "Play with..." option. Is
16 there a way to edit the gnome filetype associations directly?
17
18 > > and I like PenguinTV much better. All kinds of TV programs are
19 > > available in RSS feeds for free now. CNN, NBC News, ABC News, CBS
20 > > News, BBC News, The Daily Show, The Colbert Report. That's not even
21 > > scratching the surface. Let me know if you'd like more info.
22 >
23 > Is there some Italian program :) ?
24
25 You can use PenguinTV with any Italian RSS video feed you can find. I
26 would try searching for "Italian video RSS" if I were you.
27
28 - Grant
29 --
30 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list