From: Thanasis <thanasis@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] best practice for kernel maintenance
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 12:47:42
1 on 11/28/2008 01:19 PM Dale wrote the following:
2 > Thanasis wrote:
3 >
4 >> Regarding kernel maintenance, mostly from the point of view of
5 >> security, which is the best way to go:
6 >> 1) Having gentoo-sources in /var/lib/portage/world, which would mean
7 >> the sources would be upgraded whenever portage marks a newer version
8 >> as stable (provided someone follows stable)?
9 >> 2) Not having gentoo-sources in /var/lib/portage/world, which would
10 >> mean the sources would be upgraded only as a dependency for some other
11 >> package (which is quite improbable/rare)?
12 >>
13 >> (or, I may be missing something :-) )
19 > This is my opinion and you are welcome to take it with a grain of salt.
20 > I rarely upgrade unless I have new hardware that needs it or there is
21 > some security thing that affects me. Since I am on dial-up, good luck
22 > with the last one.
25 I'm on ADSL but keep the connection and machine (laptop) always on.
26 > Basically, upgrade when you need to. It may be new hardware that is not
27 > in the older kernels, some security issue that affects you or maybe that
28 > something will work better with a newer kernel.
29 Yes, I agree, that's one reason.
30 > If what you have works,use it.
31 > If you do upgrade, make sure to save your old sources and your old
32 > kernel. That way if something does not work with the new kernel, you
33 > can boot with the old one until you get things sorted.
34 That's the way I have always been doing it.
35 Thanks. :-)