From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] best practice for kernel mainteneance
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 11:19:51
1 Thanasis wrote:
2 > Regarding kernel maintenance, mostly from the point of view of
3 > security, which is the best way to go:
4 > 1) Having gentoo-sources in /var/lib/portage/world, which would mean
5 > the sources would be upgraded whenever portage marks a newer version
6 > as stable (provided someone follows stable)?
7 > 2) Not having gentoo-sources in /var/lib/portage/world, which would
8 > mean the sources would be upgraded only as a dependency for some other
9 > package (which is quite improbable/rare)?
10 >
11 > (or, I may be missing something :-) )
16 This is my opinion and you are welcome to take it with a grain of salt.
17 I rarely upgrade unless I have new hardware that needs it or there is
18 some security thing that affects me. Since I am on dial-up, good luck
19 with the last one.
20
21 Basically, upgrade when you need to. It may be new hardware that is not
22 in the older kernels, some security issue that affects you or maybe that
23 something will work better with a newer kernel. If what you have works,
24 use it.
25
26 If you do upgrade, make sure to save your old sources and your old
27 kernel. That way if something does not work with the new kernel, you
28 can boot with the old one until you get things sorted. Don't ask me how
29 I learned this because it brings up bad memories. :-( Just kidding
30 about not asking though it is a bad memory.
31
32 My $0.02 worth.
33
34 Dale