From: "Hemmann
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Managing my kernel
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 16:19:16
1 On Montag, 14. Mai 2007, Grant wrote:
2 > I've been puzzling a bit lately over the best way to manage my kernel.
3 > I've always tried to keep it as minimal as possible, and I only
4 > enable things as I need them. I also don't build modules from the
5 > kernel at all.
6 >
7 > Is there a better way to go? I'm starting to think it might be better
8 > to build every single module and let the system load them as it needs
9 > them.
10 >
11 > - Grant
12
13 well, from my point of view:
14
15 everything needed for booting: in kernel
16 everything needed all the time: in kernel
17 everything that needs a good kicking once in a while (usb, sound): modules
18 everything that needs parameters: modules
19 everything that is not needed all the time: module
20 --
21 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list