From: "Aleksandar L. Dimitrov" <aleks_d@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Managing my kernel
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 20:44:20
1 On Mon, 14 May 2007 18:09:37 +0200
2 "Hemmann, Volker Armin" <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de> wrote:
3
4 > On Montag, 14. Mai 2007, Grant wrote:
5 > > I've been puzzling a bit lately over the best way to manage my
6 > > kernel. I've always tried to keep it as minimal as possible, and I
7 > > only enable things as I need them. I also don't build modules from
8 > > the kernel at all.
9 > >
10 > > Is there a better way to go? I'm starting to think it might be
11 > > better to build every single module and let the system load them as
12 > > it needs them.
13 > >
14 > > - Grant
15 >
16 > well, from my point of view:
17 >
18 > everything needed for booting: in kernel
19 > everything needed all the time: in kernel
20 > everything that needs a good kicking once in a while (usb, sound):
21 > modules everything that needs parameters: modules
22 > everything that is not needed all the time: module
23 I would really add:
24 everything not needed at all: out!
25
26 Kernel build time is also an issue - I don't wanna be watching those
27 messages floating around the screen forever. Of course, inheriting
28 the .config is a must, though it can lead to problems if you ain't too
29 much one of the Changelog-reading-guys.
30 Otherwise I'll just agree with Volker, though I keep USB in-kernel on
31 my laptop as it is very important to me.
32
33 Gentoo is actually all about keeping all of the stuff as minimal as
34 possible ;)
35
36 Regards, Aleks
37 --