From: Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo on Dell Inspiron M1710
Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 12:10:04
1 On Thursday 03 May 2007, Colleen Beamer wrote:
2 > > string? (I.e. when there's something like "1024x768x24@70" or so,
3 > > the values aren't freely configurable but must match a valid video
4 > > mode for the framebuffer driver in question -- most of them use
5 > > those from the "modedb"). Also, you'll need not just framebuffer,
6 > > but framebuffer console support, too.
7 >
8 > I use genkernel and there is a screen resolution of something that
9 > says 1024x768 and I can't edit it.  I also don't know what my
10 > horizontal and vertical sync are because it's not in my documentation
11 > and when I used ddxcinfo-knoppix -hsync, it returns 0 0 and
12 > ddcxinfo-knoppix -modlines doesn't have a corresponding mode for my
13 > monitor - the resolution is 1920x1200.
14
15 This is about setting the video font size in a virtual console, right?
16 You need to change the "kernel" line in your boot loader for that, or
17 hard-wire it into the kernel - there's a selection for that somewhere
18 deep in Graphics Drivers or some such. make menuconfig and hunt for it
19 like the rest of us have to do ;-)
20
21 My kernel line in grub looks like this:
22
23 kernel /vmlinuz ro root=/dev/sda3
24 video=vesafb:mtrr:4,ywrap,1680x1050-24@60 CONSOLE=/dev/tty1
25 resume=swap:/dev/sda2
26
27 You use genkernel, so you'll have extra stuff. The important bit is
28 video=vesafb:mtrr:4,ywrap,1680x1050-24@60
29
30 Adjust to match your resolution, and make sure you use a real vesa
31 resolution that your card supports. More info can be found at
32 /<kernel source>/Documentation/fb/modedb.txt
33
34 alan
37 Optimists say the glass is half full,
38 Pessimists say the glass is half empty,
39 Developers say wtf is the glass twice as big as it needs to be?
40
41 Alan McKinnon
42 alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za
43 +27 82, double three seven, one nine three five
44 --
45 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list