From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Plasma sound devices
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2018 10:06:48
1 On Friday, 23 November 2018 19:28:19 GMT Dale wrote:
2 > Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 > > Hello list,
4 > >
5 > > Over the last few days I've trimmed my plasma setup - to slightly below
6 > > the
7 > > minimum, by which I mean that sound notification has stopped working. I
8 > > can
9 > > hear streamed radio, but the plasma control panel doesn't show any devices
10 > > so I don't hear notifications.
11 > >
12 > > I've scanned the list of packages I removed but I can't see a likely
13 > > suspect, and google just returns results about having no sound at all,
14 > > which is not my case.
15 > >
16 > > Can anyone tell me which plasma module I need to install to hear
17 > > notifications again?
18 > >
19 > > Again, the hardware and low-level drivers are fine: it's just plasma
20 > > that's
21 > > missing a component.
22 >
23 > Could you be missing Kmix? Since it controls volume/mute settings, I'd
24 > think it would be needed, maybe anyway.
25
26 Good idea, but no cigar.
27
28 Mick suggested pulseaudio. I don't think it can be that because there's no
29 sign of it in my backups; neither in world nor under /etc/portage. I'll try it
30 though; I just need to decide whether to set the USE flag globally or just on
31 certain packages - or just emerge pulseaudio. The global setting causes 10
32 rebuilds, including ffmpeg and firefox, as well as 9 new packages, so don't
33 hold your breath.
36 Regards,
37 Peter.