From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [SOLVED] Re: [gentoo-user] Plasma sound devices
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2018 16:24:33
1 On Saturday, 24 November 2018 10:06:37 GMT Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Friday, 23 November 2018 19:28:19 GMT Dale wrote:
3 > > Peter Humphrey wrote:
4 > > > Hello list,
5 > > >
6 > > > Over the last few days I've trimmed my plasma setup - to slightly below
7 > > > the
8 > > > minimum, by which I mean that sound notification has stopped working. I
9 > > > can
10 > > > hear streamed radio, but the plasma control panel doesn't show any
11 > > > devices
12 > > > so I don't hear notifications.
13 > > >
14 > > > I've scanned the list of packages I removed but I can't see a likely
15 > > > suspect, and google just returns results about having no sound at all,
16 > > > which is not my case.
17 > > >
18 > > > Can anyone tell me which plasma module I need to install to hear
19 > > > notifications again?
20 > > >
21 > > > Again, the hardware and low-level drivers are fine: it's just plasma
22 > > > that's
23 > > > missing a component.
24 > >
25 > > Could you be missing Kmix? Since it controls volume/mute settings, I'd
26 > > think it would be needed, maybe anyway.
27 >
28 > Good idea, but no cigar.
29 >
30 > Mick suggested pulseaudio. I don't think it can be that because there's no
31 > sign of it in my backups; neither in world nor under /etc/portage. I'll try
32 > it though; I just need to decide whether to set the USE flag globally or
33 > just on certain packages - or just emerge pulseaudio. The global setting
34 > causes 10 rebuilds, including ffmpeg and firefox, as well as 9 new
35 > packages, so don't hold your breath.
36
37 That didn't help either. In fact I had to install phonon-gstreamer.
38
39 I hope that helps somebody one day.
42 Regards,
43 Peter.