From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [SOLVED] Re: [gentoo-user] Plasma sound devices
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2018 23:53:38
1 On Sunday, 25 November 2018 16:24:21 GMT Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Saturday, 24 November 2018 10:06:37 GMT Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 > > On Friday, 23 November 2018 19:28:19 GMT Dale wrote:
4 > > > Peter Humphrey wrote:
5 > > > > Hello list,
6 > > > >
7 > > > > Over the last few days I've trimmed my plasma setup - to slightly
8 > > > > below
9 > > > > the
10 > > > > minimum, by which I mean that sound notification has stopped working.
11 > > > > I
12 > > > > can
13 > > > > hear streamed radio, but the plasma control panel doesn't show any
14 > > > > devices
15 > > > > so I don't hear notifications.
16 > > > >
17 > > > > I've scanned the list of packages I removed but I can't see a likely
18 > > > > suspect, and google just returns results about having no sound at all,
19 > > > > which is not my case.
20 > > > >
21 > > > > Can anyone tell me which plasma module I need to install to hear
22 > > > > notifications again?
23 > > > >
24 > > > > Again, the hardware and low-level drivers are fine: it's just plasma
25 > > > > that's
26 > > > > missing a component.
27 > > >
28 > > > Could you be missing Kmix? Since it controls volume/mute settings, I'd
29 > > > think it would be needed, maybe anyway.
30 > >
31 > > Good idea, but no cigar.
32 > >
33 > > Mick suggested pulseaudio. I don't think it can be that because there's no
34 > > sign of it in my backups; neither in world nor under /etc/portage. I'll
35 > > try
36 > > it though; I just need to decide whether to set the USE flag globally or
37 > > just on certain packages - or just emerge pulseaudio. The global setting
38 > > causes 10 rebuilds, including ffmpeg and firefox, as well as 9 new
39 > > packages, so don't hold your breath.
40 >
41 > That didn't help either. In fact I had to install phonon-gstreamer.
42 >
43 > I hope that helps somebody one day.
44
45 Interesting ... I don't have phonon-gstreamer, but media-libs/phonon with
46 USE="pulseaudio vlc", which brings in media-libs/phonon-vlc here. Either way,
47 one or the other phonon backend seems to be necessary to be able to produce
48 sound.
51 Regards,
52 Mick