From: Jonathan Callen <jcallen@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: gtk+-2.x, adwaita, gsettings and all that
Date: Tue, 02 May 2017 04:32:31
1 On 05/01/2017 02:35 PM, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
2 > I remember there was a thread about these topics, but I think it was
3 > only in the context of resolving build conflicts. That is not my
4 > problem: I can build and merge these packages just fine.
5 >
6 > My problem is that the adwaita theme, on which the last stable gtk+2
7 > depends, gives a totally new look to my desktop. Round buttons instead
8 > of square ones, menus not clearly set off from the background,
9 > minimalist scroll-bars without thumbs or arrows, etc. The last example
10 > also shows that the changes go beyond mere looks into functionality, and
11 > in the end that's why this "upgrade" will remain a no-no for me.
12 >
13 > Up until now, I have been masking the last gtk+2 version to prevent this
14 > from going through, but I worry about the security implications. So I
15 > am looking for a way to let the new packages in but then configure gtk
16 > to get the old facade back. But I don't know how: I have always used
17 > the gtk defaults for these things because they were agreeable enough.
18 >
19 > So how do I configure this stuff, given that I do _not_ use gnome or any
20 > other integrated desktop? I just need to edit some text files, dammit.
21 > Which ones and what edits are needed? Or maybe I need to install
22 > another theme and use it instead of adwaita, but then how to tell this
23 > to gtk?
26 To set the GTK-2 theme, edit the file ~/.gtkrc-2.0, and add lines like:
27
28 gtk-theme-name = "Raleigh"
29 gtk-icon-theme-name = "hicolor"
30 gtk-cursor-theme-name = ""
31
32 The default (when Adwaita is not installed) for gtk-theme-name and
33 gtk-icon-theme-name are "Raleigh" and "hicolor", respectively. There is
34 no default for gtk-cursor-theme-name (which causes the built-in cursors
35 in the Xorg server to be used as the ultimate fallbacks). If you wish
36 to set the default for all users, instead edit the file
37 /etc/gtk-2.0/gtkrc. Note that this only applies to GTK-2 applications,
38 GTK-3 uses different configuration.
41 Jonathan