From: Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: make of gentoo-sources-3.2.12 fails
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 16:17:00
1 On Mon, May 14 2012, Michael Scherer wrote:
2
3 > in my opinion it isn't. with top posting I see the newest message
4 > immidiately, while otherwise I need page through sometimes
5 > huge amounts of mostly obsolete comments.
6 > where it's possible, I put my messages on top, and I've found
7 > more than once forum-rules that require or at least recommend
8 > top posting.
9 > but I garantee that I will get flames, why I do this and urge me
10 > to change my habits.
11 > obviously this is an ingrained habit on gentoo-users, but from
12 > now on I'm going follow my habits and damn the flames.
13
14 You have forgotten that gentoo-user is a valuable archive site.
15 I keep many old msgs to use much later. At that point a top to bottom
16 reading order is preferred.
17
18 Moreover, those who are most helpful here all prefer bottom (or in-line)
19 posting. If you shun the wishes of a majority of the group and a vast
20 majority of the most-helpful users, you fate is not flames but
21 "ignoredom". That seems to be a poor idea.
22
23 Your call
24 allan