From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: make of gentoo-sources-3.2.12 fails
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 17:15:03
1 Allan Gottlieb wrote:
2 > On Mon, May 14 2012, Michael Scherer wrote:
3 >
4 >> in my opinion it isn't. with top posting I see the newest message
5 >> immidiately, while otherwise I need page through sometimes
6 >> huge amounts of mostly obsolete comments.
7 >> where it's possible, I put my messages on top, and I've found
8 >> more than once forum-rules that require or at least recommend
9 >> top posting.
10 >> but I garantee that I will get flames, why I do this and urge me
11 >> to change my habits.
12 >> obviously this is an ingrained habit on gentoo-users, but from
13 >> now on I'm going follow my habits and damn the flames.
14 >
15 > You have forgotten that gentoo-user is a valuable archive site.
16 > I keep many old msgs to use much later. At that point a top to bottom
17 > reading order is preferred.
18 >
19 > Moreover, those who are most helpful here all prefer bottom (or in-line)
20 > posting. If you shun the wishes of a majority of the group and a vast
21 > majority of the most-helpful users, you fate is not flames but
22 > "ignoredom". That seems to be a poor idea.
23 >
24 > Your call
25 > allan
30 I agree. I have read even on here, been a while tho, where a email
31 address is blacklisted. So OP, if you top post often enough then later
32 post a question, the person with the answer may never see your question
33 hence you will likely get no reply. I have one person blacklisted
34 myself. I have no clue if they come here or not. It goes straight to
35 delete. I think it bypasses the trash even.
36
37 For example: Alan, Mike, Pandu, Mark, Neil and me are the top posters
38 on this list. I will admit, if just Neil and Alan ignore your posts,
39 you got issues. They are two VERY knowledgeable, and more importantly,
40 helpful people. Most of their posts are helping others too, unlike some
41 of mine. Another thing, they have been on this mailing for a long time
42 and they don't like top posting either if memory serves me well. Me, I
43 will forgive if it is a cell phone thingy that can't be helped.
44 Otherwise, after a couple times, I'm not scrolling all over the place to
45 try to figure out what order the posts are in and all that. I may not
46 blacklist but I will hit the "next" button.
47
48 OP. You be well advised to reconsider. Other wise, you will be on the
49 forums asking for help and in my opinion, this mailing list is the best
50 place for help. Lifes full of choices tho. Some good, some bad.
51
52 Dale
53
57 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
58 how you interpreted my words!
59
60 Miss the compile output? Hint:
61 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"