From: Kevin Chadwick <ma1l1ists@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [Bulk] Re: [gentoo-user] /etc/hosts include file?
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2013 12:55:00
1 > "There is no reason to believe that IPv6 will result in an increased use
2 > of IPsec."
3 >
4 > Bull. The biggest barrier to IPsec use has been NAT! If an intermediate
5 > router has to rewrite the packet to change the apparent source and/or
6 > destination addresses, then the cryptographic signature will show it,
7 > and the packet will be correctly identified as having been tampered with!
10 It's hardly difficult to get around that now is it. You are wrong the
11 biggest barrier is that it is not desirable to do this as there are
12 many reasons for firewalls to inspect incoming packets. I don't agree
13 with things like central virus scanning especially by damn ISPs using
14 crappy Huawei hardware, deep inspection traffic shaping rather than
15 pure bandwidth usage tracking or active IDS myself but I do agree
16 with scrubbing packets.
17
18 > With IPsec, NAT is unnecessary. (You can still use it if you need
19 > it...but please try to avoid it!)
22 Actually it is no problem at all and is far better than some of the
23 rubbish ipv6 encourages client apps to do. (See the links I sent in the
24 other mail)
25
26 > Re "DNS support for IPv6"
27 >
28 > "Increased size of DNS responses due to larger addresses might be
29 > exploited for DDos attacks"
30 >
31 > That's not even significant. Have you looked at the size of DNS
33 > amount of other data already stuffed into the packet.
34
35 It's been ages since I looked at that link and longer addresses would
36 certainly be needed anyway but certainly with DNSSEC again concocted by
37 costly unthoughtful and unengaging groups who chose to ignore DJB
38 and enable amplification attacks.
39
40 His latest on the "DNS security mess"
41
42 http://cr.yp.to/talks/2013.02.07/slides.pdf
43
44 > "An attacker can connect to an IPv4-only network, and forge IPv6 Router
45 > Advertisement messages. (*)"
46
47 > Again, this depends on them being on the same layer 2 network segment.
48
49 > The same class of attacks would be possible for any IPv4 successor that
50 > implemented either RAs or DHCP.
51
52 Neither of which I use.
53
54 As I said we would be here all day and that link wasn't as good as the
55 one I was actually looking for.
56
57 local NAT done right is no problem and actually a good thing and I have
58 no issues playing games, running servers or anything else behind NAT.
59 Global NAT works well enough but isn't a good thing and wouldn't exist
60 if they had simply added more addresses quickly. The hardware uptake
61 would have been no issue rather than a decade of pleads.
62
63 We haven't even touched on the code yet and so all the vulnerable
64 especially home hardware which yes often has vulnerable sps anyway but
65 by no way just home hardware.
66
67 The ipvshit links give an insight into the code complexity. Note
68 OpenBSDs kernel which is very secure (unlike Linux whose primary goal is
69 function) and has had just a few remote holes in well over a decade, one
70 of which was in ipv6 and which I had avoided without down time because I
71 won't and what's more shouldn't use ipv6 wherever possible and had
72 actually removed it from the kernel all together.
73
74 If I am Trolling rather than simply trying to make people aware then
75 stating ipv6 is wonderful is Trolling just as much or more.
76
77 Regards,
78 Kc
82
83 'Write programs that do one thing and do it well. Write programs to work
84 together. Write programs to handle text streams, because that is a
85 universal interface'
86
87 (Doug McIlroy)