From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [Bulk] Re: [gentoo-user] /etc/hosts include file?
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2013 22:01:07
1 On 03/09/2013 07:53 AM, Kevin Chadwick wrote:
2 >> "There is no reason to believe that IPv6 will result in an
3 >> increased use of IPsec."
4 >>
5 >> Bull. The biggest barrier to IPsec use has been NAT! If an
6 >> intermediate router has to rewrite the packet to change the
7 >> apparent source and/or destination addresses, then the
8 >> cryptographic signature will show it, and the packet will be
9 >> correctly identified as having been tampered with!
12 > It's hardly difficult to get around that now is it.
13
14 Sure, you can use an IP-in-IP tunnel...but that's retarded. IPSec was
15 designed from the beginning to allow you to do things like sign your IP
16 header and encrypt everything else (meaning your UDP, TCP, SCTP or what
17 have you).
18
19 Setting up a tunnel just so your IP header can be signed wastes another
20 40 bytes for every non-fragmented packet. Ask someone trying to use data
21 in a cellular context how valuable that 40 bytes can be.
22
23 > You are wrong the biggest barrier is that it is not desirable to do
24 > this as there are many reasons for firewalls to inspect incoming
25 > packets. I don't agree with things like central virus scanning
26 > especially by damn ISPs using crappy Huawei hardware, deep inspection
27 > traffic shaping rather than pure bandwidth usage tracking or active
28 > IDS myself but I do agree with scrubbing packets.
29
30 It's not the transit network's job to scrub packets. Do your scrubbing
31 at the VPN endpoint, where the IPSec packets are unwrapped.
32
33 Trusting the transit network to scrub packets is antithetical to the
34 idea of using security measures to avoid MITM and traffic sniffing
35 attacks in the first place!
38 >> With IPsec, NAT is unnecessary. (You can still use it if you need
39 >> it...but please try to avoid it!)
42 > Actually it is no problem at all and is far better than some of the
43 > rubbish ipv6 encourages client apps to do. (See the links I sent in
44 > the other mail)
45
46 Please read the links before you send them, and make specific references
47 to the content you want people to look at. I've read and responded to
48 the links you've offered (which were links to archived messages on
49 mailing lists, and the messages were opinion pieces with little (if any)
50 technical material.)
53 >> Re "DNS support for IPv6"
54 >>
55 >> "Increased size of DNS responses due to larger addresses might be
56 >> exploited for DDos attacks"
57 >>
58 >> That's not even significant. Have you looked at the size of DNS
60 >> the amount of other data already stuffed into the packet.
61 >
62 > It's been ages since I looked at that link and longer addresses
63 > would certainly be needed anyway but certainly with DNSSEC again
64 > concocted by costly unthoughtful and unengaging groups who chose to
65 > ignore DJB and enable amplification attacks.
66
67 What from DJB did they ignore? I honestly don't know what you're talking
68 about.
71 > His latest on the "DNS security mess"
72 >
73 > http://cr.yp.to/talks/2013.02.07/slides.pdf
74
75 I've never before in my life seen someone animate slideshow transitions
76 and save off intermediate frames as individual PDF pages. That was painful.
77
78 So, I read what was discussed there. First, he describes failings of
79 HTTPSEC. I don't have any problem with what he's talking about there,
80 honestly; it makes a reasonable amount of sense, considering
81 intermediate caching servers aren't very common for HTTP traffic, and
82 HTTPS traffic makes intermediate caching impossible. (unless you've
83 already got serious security problems by way of a MITM opening.)
84
85 Then he turns around and dedicates two slides showing a DNS delegation
86 sequence...and then states in a single slide that DNSSEC has all the
87 same problems as HTTPSEC.
88
89 DNSSEC doesn't have the same problems as HTTPSEC, because almost *every*
90 recursive resolving DNS server (which is most of the DNS servers on the
91 Internet) employs caching.
94 >> "An attacker can connect to an IPv4-only network, and forge IPv6
95 >> Router Advertisement messages. (*)"
96 >
97 >> Again, this depends on them being on the same layer 2 network
98 >> segment.
99 >
100 >> The same class of attacks would be possible for any IPv4 successor
101 >> that implemented either RAs or DHCP.
102 >
103 > Neither of which I use.
104
105 You're telling me you don't use DHCP? Seriously, that you statically
106 configure the IPv4 addresses of all the hosts on your network?
107
108 With one exception, I haven't personally seen a network configured in
109 that way since 1998! Certainly, every network has some hosts configured
110 statically, but virtually no network I've observed (and I've seen
111 private networks between 2 and 50 hosts, and commercial networks between
112 5 and 30k hosts) managed completely statically.
115 > As I said we would be here all day and that link wasn't as good as
116 > the one I was actually looking for.
117 >
118 > local NAT done right is no problem and actually a good thing and I
119 > have no issues playing games, running servers or anything else behind
120 > NAT.
121
122 See others' responses about port standardization, and about how it
123 enforces a distinction between 'clients' and 'servers' that's
124 unnecessary (and even harmful) for a variety of applications.
125
126 > Global NAT works well enough
127
128 With global NAT, anything you do that depends on port forwarding is broken.
129
130 > but isn't a good thing and wouldn't exist if they had simply added
131 > more addresses quickly. The hardware uptake would have been no issue
132 > rather than a decade of pleads.
133
134 There's almost nothing you've pointed at so far that would have
135 prevented backbones from IPv6 uptake...and the backbones dragged their
136 heels long enough. IPv4 with expanded address bits would have been
137 worse; IPv6 explicitly includes features intended to ease the strain on
138 the size of a global routing view!
141 > We haven't even touched on the code yet and so all the vulnerable
142 > especially home hardware which yes often has vulnerable sps anyway
143 > but by no way just home hardware.
144 >
145 > The ipvshit links give an insight into the code complexity.
146
147 You call that code complex? (and I still don't know what 'ipvshit' is,
148 except possibly one guy's pejorative description of IPv6)
149
150 > Note OpenBSDs kernel which is very secure (unlike Linux whose
151 > primary goal is function)
152
153 I have no complaints about OpenBSD.
154
155 > and has had just a few remote holes in well over a decade, one of
156 > which was in ipv6
157
158 So OpenBSD, who you venerate, had a bug in its IPv6 implementation, and
159 for that you view IPv6 as an abomination? Is that it? (Or is it because
160 the guy who wrote the buggy code thinks so, and you venerate him?
161 Because that seems plausible, too.)
162
163 I like Linux, but I don't hold Linux (or any Linux developer) in
164 veneration. I like Windows, but I don't hold Bill Gates, Balmer or any
165 Microsoft dev in veneration. I like Android, but I don't hold Google or
166 any Google employee in veneration. I dislike Macs, but I don't think of
167 Steve Jobs as evil.
168
169 > and which I had avoided without down time because I won't and what's
170 > more shouldn't use ipv6 wherever possible
171
172 Do you mean that as "I'll avoid IPv6 as much as possible" or do you mean
173 that as "I won't use IPv6 in all places where it's possible to use IPv6"?
174
175 If the latter, I'd agree; there are places you can use IPv6 where it
176 probably won't make a whole lot of sense (i.e. on an HDMI cable, unless
177 you have a particular need to provide network traffic to/from your TV).
178
179 If the former, I'm afraid I still haven't seen a solid technical case
180 against it.
181
182 > and had actually removed it from the kernel all together.
183
184 That's sensible; if you're not going to use code, remove it.
187 > If I am Trolling rather than simply trying to make people aware then
188 > stating ipv6 is wonderful is Trolling just as much or more.
189
190 IPv6 fixes things about the Internet that are currently broken by IPv4
191 address exhaustion. I try to point out where IPv6 fixes things, I try to
192 clear up popular misconceptions about IPv6, and I try to help people
193 understand a thing rather than simply fear it.
194
195 If you take a highly competent IPv4 network administrator and drop him
196 into IPv6 territory without ensuring that he has knowledge of IPv6 best
197 practices and practical concerns, you're likely to get a broken network
198 out of it. I try to help keep that from happening.
199
200 The statements you've made that I regarded as trollish where were you
201 made emotional statements and arguments without anything explanatory to
202 back them up. In contrast, I've spent *hours* wading through the links
203 you've thrown at me (without you yourself reading, I suspect), making
204 point-by-point responses.