From: kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] MySQL Upgrade
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2005 06:52:57
1 Jeff Smelser wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 02 November 2005 05:47 pm, kashani wrote:
3 >> So yes, if your db is 20 GB or less, what I mentioned will probably
4 >>work without too much trouble. If your db is 100 GB or larger, you're
5 >>likely spending enough on hardware and software to solve your issues
6 >>that some vendor will offer to buy you flaming Tiki drinks so it's not
7 >>all bad.
8 >
9 > I hope you didnt take you all night to think of this, its really not that
10 > good.
11
12 I'm not sure how to take that and am a bit confused since you're the
13 one responding six hours later. :) Or one of us is having mail issues. :(
14
15 Attempts to flame each other aside though I will continue the thread
16 hijack in progress, what are your options for incremental backups with
17 any RDBM? My understanding is that you're pretty much dependent on some
18 sort of snapshotting from either your expensive hardware (EMC), or
19 expensive filesystem (Veritas) if you don't have a third party package
20 or your db isn't fancy enough. Oracle seems to have made good progress
21 with their RMAN stuff, but I couldn't say how robust that is or how it
22 compares to the former. I'm sadly out of date with Oracle as I haven't
23 been involved in any reasonably sized systems newer than 8i.
24 I guess the question is what sort of functionality would you want out
25 of Mysql? And as a followup, everyone and their mother with reasonably
26 sized Mysql databases appears to use replication to do their backups,
27 psuedo-incremental or otherwise. Is it just the extra hardware and disk
28 that you don't like or something else?
29
30 kashani
31 --
32 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list