From: Shawn Haggett <podge@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Fake MAC Address Bungling Wireless
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2009 13:07:16
1 daid kahl wrote:
4 > 2009/2/15 daid kahl <daidxor@×××××.com <mailto:daidxor@×××××.com>>
5 >
6 > )On Sat, 2009-02-14 at 20:05 +0900, daid kahl wrote:
7 > > I was bored and playing around with macchanger to change my
8 > Wireless
9 > > MAC address, and wireless has not worked since, even though
10 > I'm using
11 > > my hardware MAC address again. I'm usually using
12 > NetworkManager, but
13 > > I
16 > Well, no obvious solutions after 7 hours of actively trying things, so
17 > I'll restore from backup.
18 >
19 > For those interested, I deleted files from /var/lib/dhcpbd, and this
20 > allowed me to get new IP addresses, but all within the faulty
21 > subdomain of California. I tried on another wireless networks, and
22 > still my machine tries to assign me an IP within the California
23 > domain. I reinstalled my entire networking software (short of a
24 > kernel recompile), and deleted and remade any network configuration
25 > files I could find that might be relevant, and still the problem
26 > persisted. I used wicd to assign myself static IP and DNS with known
27 > values that are functional, and then the network was recognized, but I
28 > could not access anything.
29 >
30 It's not a California address. It's an IPv4LL address, used when a dhcp
31 server can't be found adn is related to the zeroconf useflag the other
32 poster mentioned. Read:
33 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero_configuration_networking