From: daid kahl <daidxor@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Fake MAC Address Bungling Wireless
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2009 09:59:00
1 2009/2/15 daid kahl <daidxor@×××××.com>
2
3 > )On Sat, 2009-02-14 at 20:05 +0900, daid kahl wrote:
4 >> > I was bored and playing around with macchanger to change my Wireless
5 >> > MAC address, and wireless has not worked since, even though I'm using
6 >> > my hardware MAC address again. I'm usually using NetworkManager, but
7 >> > I
10 >> Well, no obvious solutions after 7 hours of actively trying things, so
11 I'll restore from backup.
12
13 For those interested, I deleted files from /var/lib/dhcpbd, and this allowed
14 me to get new IP addresses, but all within the faulty subdomain of
15 California. I tried on another wireless networks, and still my machine
16 tries to assign me an IP within the California domain. I reinstalled my
17 entire networking software (short of a kernel recompile), and deleted and
18 remade any network configuration files I could find that might be relevant,
19 and still the problem persisted. I used wicd to assign myself static IP
20 and DNS with known values that are functional, and then the network was
21 recognized, but I could not access anything.
22
23 I have a backup of the current system, so if anyone is really really
24 interested in this subject, I could restore and toy around some more. But I
25 have to recommend against using macchanger without a very recent backup of
26 your system. I'd file a bug report, but what would I say? I don't know
27 what file was actually being affected, so I can't offer any useful insight.
28
29 ~daid