From: daid kahl <daidxor@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Fake MAC Address Bungling Wireless
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2009 06:51:36
2 > )On Sat, 2009-02-14 at 20:05 +0900, daid kahl wrote:
3 > > I was bored and playing around with macchanger to change my Wireless
4 > > MAC address, and wireless has not worked since, even though I'm using
5 > > my hardware MAC address again. I'm usually using NetworkManager, but
6 > > I
7 >
8 > Try shutting it down, remove power (actually unplug it - most moderm
9 > MB's stay live when supposedly off)
10 >
11 > Wait 10 minutes and apply power and boot.
12 >
13 > Its probable the hardware and software are now confused and need a clean
14 > start.
15 >
16 > BillK
17 >
18 > Like I said, I can use the wireless card just fine in other operating
19 systems if I reboot, so it's not hardware. I did give your solution a go,
20 but no such luck.
21
22 The problem is that when the MAC address was randomly changed, it's given me
23 an IP address assigned to the region near Marina del Rey, California. As it
24 turns out, I'm in Tokyo, and probably my wireless router is not happy about
25 talking to the wireless IP my computer insists to assign itself.
26
27 I've been trying to configure it all manually, since that way maybe I can
28 assign myself a more reasonable IP address, and then if I later use wicd or
29 NetworkManager it won't try to use the bad address. On accident I brought
30 up wifi0 with no configurations, and you can see what it's doing
31
32 * Bringing up interface wifi0
33 * No configuration specified; defaulting to DHCP
34 * dhcp ...
35 * Running dhcpcd ...
36 wifi0: dhcpcd 4.0.2 starting
37 wifi0: broadcasting for a lease
38 wifi0: timed out
39 wifi0: probing for an IPV4LL address
40 wifi0: checking 169.254.62.179 is available on attached networks
41 wifi0: using IPv4LL address
42 169.254.62.179 [ ok ]
43 * received address 169.254.62.179/16
44
45 I'm not concerned if you have this IP, because this is the non-functional
46 California IP that my computer continues to assign itself in Gentoo. Is
47 there a way to reset my IPv4 LL address? Clearly the computer stored this
48 IP address somewhere and it needs to be wiped, or replaced with something
49 more suitable for this network.
50
51 ~daid