From: Raymond Lillard <rlillard@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Stale Samba in Portage (SOLVED)
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 01:53:11
1 Raymond Lillard wrote:
2 > Now on to my topic. I have noticed that the Samba version
3 > presently available in Portage is v3.0.10. That version
4 > was released more than six months ago. The latest released
5 > version of Samba (v3.0.14a), which contains several important
6 > bug fixes over v3.0.10, was released in mid-April. The next
7 > release of Samba will be v3.0.20. It presently is in the
8 > "rc" stage and will be released "real soon now".
9
10 For the record, I needed to understand the QA phases in
11 Portage. The discussion in the thread led me to:
12
13 1. Create the file: /etc/portage/package.keywords
14 Containing:
15
16 # Allow test versions of Samba to be visible
17 net-fs/samba ~x86
21 2. Further info under:
22
23 URL: http://packages.gentoo.org/
24
25 Search for: Samba
26
27 Found discussion among Portage maintainers that suggests
28 3.0.14a could be marked stable any day now.
32 Thanks for the help.
33 Ray
34
35 PS My installation of Gentoo in on a Dell Latitude D810.
36 This is a fairly fast machine with a really nice display.
37 Gentoo has been both very user responsive and stable.
38 I have not had any sign of instability, unlike some other
39 distros I could (but won't) name.
40
41 I have built most all of the popular office applications
42 and many of the sysadmin apps with NO issues. The Gentoo
43 team seems to run a tight ship and I like it. It feels
44 like a BSD system.
45
46 I haven't gotten to the audio/video stuff yet. I'm
47 optimistic though.
48 --
49 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list