From: Nick Rout <nick@×××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Stale Samba in Portage (SOLVED)
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 02:20:40
1 On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 18:49:01 -0700
2 Raymond Lillard wrote:
3
4 > I haven't gotten to the audio/video stuff yet. I'm
5 > optimistic though.
6
7 So long as you look at the USE flags with a fine tooth comb you will
8 find a lot of joy in the gentoo multimedia experience. It is (fortunately
9 IMHO) not bogged down by the desire to keep clear of win32codecs,
10 libdvdcss and the like.
11
12 My gentoo system can play more media files than my win2k system, and
13 without the annoyances of realplayer or quicktime popping up to tell me
14 that I can now watch the latest piece of crap that they think i want to
15 see.
16
17 Anyway, my point was that, unlike some other distros where you have to
18 hunt around for third party implementations in order to watch the dvd
19 you own, or listen to an mp3, gentoo gives you the choice of including
20 it right from inside portage.
23 Nick Rout
26 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list