From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Layman and eix-sync
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 13:02:07
1 On Thursday 12 November 2009 14:52:14 Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
2 > >> then unmerge all of kde-3.5, verify with depclean, then delete the
3 > >> overlay
4 > >
5 > > I thought they changed all that? I have /usr/kde/3.5 but nothing for KDE
6 > > 4. Equery shows this:
7 >
8 > > root@smoker ~ # equery files kde-base/kdelibs-4.3.3
9 >
10 > Alan spoke about the configs and app data in ~. kdelibs naturally installs
11 > into the system, not home. And if you don't enable the prefix useflag in
12 > the older version (I believe they removed it a while ago anyway), then it
13 > installs HFS compliantly into /usr instead of /usr/kde/$version.
16 Correct.
17
18 KDE-3.5 installs into /usr/kde3.5/
19 KDE-4 installs into /usr/
20
21 with kdeprefix, KDE-4 *used* to install into /usr/kde4.1, /usr/kde4.2, etc but
22 this was a bad idea when it started and never got any better so it was canned.
23 Full gory details in the KDE4 docs on gentoo.org.
24
25 Short version: Do not use kdeprefix. Ever.
28 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com