From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Layman and eix-sync
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 13:20:09
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Thursday 12 November 2009 14:52:14 Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
3 >
4 >>>> then unmerge all of kde-3.5, verify with depclean, then delete the
5 >>>> overlay
6 >>>>
7 >>> I thought they changed all that? I have /usr/kde/3.5 but nothing for KDE
8 >>> 4. Equery shows this:
9 >>>
10 >> > root@smoker ~ # equery files kde-base/kdelibs-4.3.3
11 >>
12 >> Alan spoke about the configs and app data in ~. kdelibs naturally installs
13 >> into the system, not home. And if you don't enable the prefix useflag in
14 >> the older version (I believe they removed it a while ago anyway), then it
15 >> installs HFS compliantly into /usr instead of /usr/kde/$version.
19 > Correct.
20 >
21 > KDE-3.5 installs into /usr/kde3.5/
22 > KDE-4 installs into /usr/
23 >
24 > with kdeprefix, KDE-4 *used* to install into /usr/kde4.1, /usr/kde4.2, etc but
25 > this was a bad idea when it started and never got any better so it was canned.
26 > Full gory details in the KDE4 docs on gentoo.org.
27 >
28 > Short version: Do not use kdeprefix. Ever.
32 I wasn't thinking about the /home config but the KDE install itself.
33 Now we are on the same page. I see more clearly now. They did
34 mask/disable the kdeprefix USE flag. It's not a "option" anymore.
35
36 There is a lot that I like about KDE 4 but it just isn't quite usable
37 for everything I do just yet. It's getting there tho.
38
39 Dale
40