From: Rob Oravec <rob@×××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] set FAN speed
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 15:05:45
1 0300, Catalin Trifu wrote:
2
3 >> Hi,
6 >> I am having a very nasty problem. My Dell Inspiron 5160 laptop
7 >>(P4 3.06 GHz) runs at very high temperature (77 degrees C) and in the room are
8 >>only 20.
9 >> I looked around at how to get the FAN speed up at max but lm_sensors simply
10 >>doesn't want to get installed.
11 >> ACPI does not work properly on this machines (it's a known problem).
12 >> I am running on ck-sources (tried gentoo-sources and same result). I know the fan
13 >>is not spinning at full speed (I ran the tests from Dell).
14 >> Does anyone knoe how I could get the FAN up to speed ?
15 >>
16 >>Thanks,
17 >>Catalin
22 Hi,
23
24 Has it melted yet?
25 Keep some thermal compound at hand!
26
27 Have you tried the i8kutils?
28 emerge i8kutils
29
30 Great for fan manipulation but don't tell Dell ;-)
31 Designed for the Inspiron 8000 series but works on other models too.
32
33 Works great with my Inspiron 5150 running 2.6.12-gentoo-r10 kernel.
34
35 You need to compile the i8k module in the kernel:
36 Processor Type and features>Dell laptop support.
37
38 Only got it to work when I put :
39 "i8k force=1"
40 in /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6
41
42 Hope this helps,
43
44 Rob