From: Fernando Rodriguez <cyklonite@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE5: no desktop
Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2017 16:13:59
1 On 01/08/2017 07:00 AM, Robin Atwood wrote:
2 > On Sunday 08 January 2017, Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 >
4 >> On Saturday, 7 January 2017 22:03:53 GMT Robin Atwood wrote:
5 >
6 >>> I finally grasped the nettle and did the Plasma 5 upgrade. The
7 >>> first
8 >
9 >>> machine went OK eventually (apart from the week spent
10 >>> resolving
11 >
12 >>> blockers), so I thought the second would be much smoother. And
13 >>> so it
14 > was,
15 >
16 >>> until I logged on. I got the splash screen, a bouncing ball as
17 >>> something
18 >
19 >>> started and then a black screen relieved only by a cursor and
20 >>> a
21 > couple of
22 >
23 >>> apps in the autostart list. kwin-x11, plasmashell, ksmserver
24 >>> are all
25 >
26 >>> running, it seems like something got omitted in the install.
27 >>> Does anyone
28 >
29 >>> know which binary starts the window manager and taskbar, etc? I
30 >>> did the
31 >
32 >>> usual things like create a new user, rename .kde4, to no
33 >>> avail.
37 >> While you were sorting out the blockers, did you make USE
38 >> changes? The
39 >
40 >> problem may lie there somewhere. What does 'emerge -pe world'
41 >> give
42 > you? Any
43 >
44 >> errors?
48 >> Although I'm still wrestling with KMail, I had no trouble with
49 >> KDE itself.
50 >
51 >> Well, apart from being unable to right-click on the desktop to
52 >> change the
53 >
54 >> behaviour of the mouse wheel, which infuriates me when the
55 >> pointer strays
56 >
57 >> outside the window I'm concentrating on. But I gave up trying to
58 >> sort out
59 >
60 >> the blockers you mention and built a new system; it may still be
61 >> worth you
62 >
63 >> considering that.
67 > I only removed the qt4 flag. Emerge -pw world just wants to replace
68 > a lot of packages - no errors.
71 Try to login as a new user (or move your home directory out of the
72 way). If it works start selectively deleting dot files/directories
73 from your home directory. Start with .cache, .kde4 and everything that
74 starts with a k in .config and .local and go from there. I had the
75 exact same problem when I upgraded one of my laptops and that's how I
76 fixed it. Also delete anything in /var/cache and any files belonging
77 to your uses in /tmp and /run.
78
79 You can also try switching to a VT and kill plasmashell and if it
80 doesn't restart automatically start it with the DISPLAY environment
81 variable properly set.
82
83 Also look at the system logs, .xsession-errors, xorg logs, etc for
84 clues. You can also run kdebugdialog5 from another DE to enable a lot
85 of kde debug output to the system logs.
89 > Thanks
90 >
91 > Robin
92 >
93 > --
94 >
95 > ----------------------------------------------------------------------
96 >
97 > Robin Atwood.
101 > "Ship me somewheres east of Suez, where the best is like the
102 > worst,
103 >
104 > Where there ain't no Ten Commandments an' a man can raise a
105 > thirst"
106 >
107 > from "Mandalay" by Rudyard Kipling
108 >
131 > -- This message has been scanned for viruses and dangerous content
132 > by *MailScanner* <http://www.mailscanner.info/>, and is believed to
133 > be clean.
138 Fernando Rodriguez