From: Robin Atwood <robin@×××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE5: no desktop
Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2017 12:01:05
1 On Sunday 08 January 2017, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Saturday, 7 January 2017 22:03:53 GMT Robin Atwood wrote:
3 > > I finally grasped the nettle and did the Plasma 5 upgrade. The first
4 > > machine went OK eventually (apart from the week spent resolving
5 > > blockers), so I thought the second would be much smoother. And so it was,
6 > > until I logged on. I got the splash screen, a bouncing ball as something
7 > > started and then a black screen relieved only by a cursor and a couple of
8 > > apps in the autostart list. kwin-x11, plasmashell, ksmserver are all
9 > > running, it seems like something got omitted in the install. Does anyone
10 > > know which binary starts the window manager and taskbar, etc? I did the
11 > > usual things like create a new user, rename .kde4, to no avail.
12 >
13 > While you were sorting out the blockers, did you make USE changes? The
14 > problem may lie there somewhere. What does 'emerge -pe world' give you? Any
15 > errors?
16 >
17 > Although I'm still wrestling with KMail, I had no trouble with KDE itself.
18 > Well, apart from being unable to right-click on the desktop to change the
19 > behaviour of the mouse wheel, which infuriates me when the pointer strays
20 > outside the window I'm concentrating on. But I gave up trying to sort out
21 > the blockers you mention and built a new system; it may still be worth you
22 > considering that.
23
24 I only removed the qt4 flag. Emerge -pw world just wants to replace a lot of
25 packages - no errors.
26
27 Thanks
28 Robin
29 --
31 Robin Atwood.
32
33 "Ship me somewheres east of Suez, where the best is like the worst,
34 Where there ain't no Ten Commandments an' a man can raise a thirst"
35 from "Mandalay" by Rudyard Kipling
47 This message has been scanned for viruses and
48 dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
49 believed to be clean.