From: John Covici <covici@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] applications cannot access anything on youtube
Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2022 14:01:22
1 On Sun, 06 Mar 2022 08:01:06 -0500,
2 Michael wrote:
3 >
4 > [1 <text/plain; UTF-8 (7bit)>]
5 > On Sunday, 6 March 2022 12:27:47 GMT John Covici wrote:
6 > > On Sun, 06 Mar 2022 06:18:33 -0500,
7 > >
8 > > Wols Lists wrote:
9 > > > On 06/03/2022 09:39, John Covici wrote:
10 > > > > Hi. On my gentoo box, no application including ping can access
11 > > > > www.youtube.com. However, a dig is doing it correctly, so I can not
12 > > > > understand what is happening. A restart of named, gives me the same
13 > > > > result. This is very baffling to me. If I change the URL to just
14 > > > > youtube.com, it tries to work till the redirect to www.youtube.com and
15 > > > > then stops dead.
16 > > > >
17 > > > > Am I doing something wrong? My windows box is doing this correctly.
18 > > > >
19 > > > > Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
20 > > >
21 > > > cat /etc/hosts?
22 > > >
23 > > > I'm sure you'd remember if you'd messed about with it, but a
24 > > > redirect there would explain it ...
25 > >
26 > > No joy there, it looks like anything on the web under youtube
27 > > redirects to www.youtube.com, what I can't figure out is even if I
28 > > ping it, it says name or service not known, but dig sees it.
29 >
30 > I don't run named, so I'm not sure if some configuration issue is at play with
31 > your setup. Did you try traceroute? I am able to ping 'www.youtube.com' as
32 > well as 'youtube.com'. They resolve to different IPv4 addresses, but the same
33 > IPv6. When I run traceroute the route deviates 3 hops before the target,
34 > whether I use ICMP, or TCP on ports 80 and 443.
35 >
36 > Therefore it seems there is a URL redirect on youtube. When tested from here
37 > the redirection is not on the same webserver, but to some other server/farm
38 > hidden behind Google's vast estate and reverse proxies. The routing from your
39 > network to Google would be specific to your location.
40 Traceroute does not work, either.
43 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
44 How do
45 you spend it?
46
47 John Covici wb2una