From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] applications cannot access anything on youtube
Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2022 13:01:25
1 On Sunday, 6 March 2022 12:27:47 GMT John Covici wrote:
2 > On Sun, 06 Mar 2022 06:18:33 -0500,
3 >
4 > Wols Lists wrote:
5 > > On 06/03/2022 09:39, John Covici wrote:
6 > > > Hi. On my gentoo box, no application including ping can access
7 > > > www.youtube.com. However, a dig is doing it correctly, so I can not
8 > > > understand what is happening. A restart of named, gives me the same
9 > > > result. This is very baffling to me. If I change the URL to just
10 > > > youtube.com, it tries to work till the redirect to www.youtube.com and
11 > > > then stops dead.
12 > > >
13 > > > Am I doing something wrong? My windows box is doing this correctly.
14 > > >
15 > > > Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
16 > >
17 > > cat /etc/hosts?
18 > >
19 > > I'm sure you'd remember if you'd messed about with it, but a
20 > > redirect there would explain it ...
21 >
22 > No joy there, it looks like anything on the web under youtube
23 > redirects to www.youtube.com, what I can't figure out is even if I
24 > ping it, it says name or service not known, but dig sees it.
25
26 I don't run named, so I'm not sure if some configuration issue is at play with
27 your setup. Did you try traceroute? I am able to ping 'www.youtube.com' as
28 well as 'youtube.com'. They resolve to different IPv4 addresses, but the same
29 IPv6. When I run traceroute the route deviates 3 hops before the target,
30 whether I use ICMP, or TCP on ports 80 and 443.
31
32 Therefore it seems there is a URL redirect on youtube. When tested from here
33 the redirection is not on the same webserver, but to some other server/farm
34 hidden behind Google's vast estate and reverse proxies. The routing from your
35 network to Google would be specific to your location.