From: John Covici <covici@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] applications cannot access anything on youtube
Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2022 12:27:57
1 On Sun, 06 Mar 2022 06:18:33 -0500,
2 Wols Lists wrote:
3 >
4 > On 06/03/2022 09:39, John Covici wrote:
5 > > Hi. On my gentoo box, no application including ping can access
6 > > www.youtube.com. However, a dig is doing it correctly, so I can not
7 > > understand what is happening. A restart of named, gives me the same
8 > > result. This is very baffling to me. If I change the URL to just
9 > > youtube.com, it tries to work till the redirect to www.youtube.com and
10 > > then stops dead.
11 > >
12 > > Am I doing something wrong? My windows box is doing this correctly.
13 > >
14 > > Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
15 > >
16 > cat /etc/hosts?
17 >
18 > I'm sure you'd remember if you'd messed about with it, but a
19 > redirect there would explain it ...
20
21 No joy there, it looks like anything on the web under youtube
22 redirects to www.youtube.com, what I can't figure out is even if I
23 ping it, it says name or service not known, but dig sees it.
26 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
27 How do
28 you spend it?
29
30 John Covici wb2una