From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] blocking facebook
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2015 04:41:54
1 thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
2 > On 12/11/2015 09:05 PM, Simon Thelen wrote:
3 >> On 15-12-11 at 20:03, thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
4 >>> Does anybody have an idea how to block facebook?
5 >> The only way to blacklist facebook would be to create a whitelist and
6 >> drop everything not on said whitelist.
7 >>
8 >> If you block DNS, they can use a different DNS server. If you block IP
9 >> addresses they'll use a proxy/vpn. If you use deep packet inspection
10 >> they'll use TLS or a VPN or an SSH tunnel.
11 >>
12 >> If you can control the systems so that they don't do any of the above,
13 >> it's possible but you've admitted that you can't (unless you can
14 >> control all the Virtualbox instances).
15 > The users are not that knowledgeable to do any of that DNS, proxy/vpn etc.
16 > I know VirtualBox IP address and can block the page "facebook" for
17 > individual IP or certain range in dd-wrt. But my problem is getting the
18 > dd-wrt "access control" to recognize and block "https".
19 > Trying to block by URL: https://www.facebook.com/ doesn't work.
20 >
21 > --
22 > Thelma
28 They may not now but I just did a quick search on startpage on how to
29 unblock facebook and I got a ton of hits including videos on youtube.
30 They may not know how right now but after you block it, they will
31 shortly after. On the plus side, you may have some budding computer
32 geeks coming along.
33
34 Anyone else remember those parental control programs that rarely if ever
35 worked? ROFL Most teens could get past those in seconds if not a
36 minute or two. ;-)
37
38 Dale
39