From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] baselayout --> openrc ?
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2010 01:04:52
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 00:43 on Saturday 23 October 2010, Stroller
2 did opine thusly:
3
4 > On 22 Oct 2010, at 21:32, Alan McKinnon wrote:
5 > > ...
6 > > Did you and I read the same mail thread? I read all of it - did you?
7 >
8 > Apparently you have poorer reading comprehension that I do:
9 > >> That Gentoo-dev thread was 3 or 4 months ago, and I haven't read all of
10 > >> it today.
11
12 I saw that. I thought it odd you would cite the thread in your reasoning right
13 after saying you hadn't read all of it. I wanted you to see the strangeness of
14 that on your own.
15
16 > I would stand by my advice:
17 > >> ... I would discourage anyone in stable
18 > >> from migrating to Openrc unless they need to, or unless they're deciding
19 > >> to run entirely ~arch packages on their system. From my understanding I
20 > >> would "wait and see", and migrate when the devs decide the time is right
21 > >> for a mass migration of stable users.
22
23 That's fine. people running stable should stick with stable for the most part.
24 See below.
25
26 > This is all totally irrelevant:
27 > > That's a straw man argument. Roy left Gentoo because of conflicts between
28 > > his wish to be 100% POSIX compliant ...
29 > > Roy did not leave openrc development becuase it's a lost cause
30 >
31 > and it has nothing to do with what I said.
32
33 And your response now has nothing to do with what I said. I wasn't commenting
34 on the merits of migrating, I was commenting on you quoting Roy:
35
36 "> Roy is the author, his own words:
37 > The fact that several people said they would attempt a
38 > stable push and then gave up (I was one - lol) says quite a
39 > bit really.
40 "
41
42 Now why would you have quoted that? I can see only one reason - the author
43 hints at it being not good enough therefore you should look long and hard
44 before using it. I pointed out, correctly I believe, that that is irrelevant.
45 Roy left Gentoo and openrc because he couldn't have his way re POSIX
46 compliance. That's a straw man - setting up a weak disrelated argument to
47 somehow prove your point later. It's fallacious.
48
49 > My advice was made in response to Neil's comment:
50 > >>> you may as well do the upgrade when you feel like it rather that when
51 > >>> the devs decide to flip a keyword.
52 >
53 > I've snipped that to an even tighter crop, so that you don't miss what he
54 > said.
55
56 And you snipped out the very quote from Roy above I was commenting on. I saw
57 that. So I put it back.
60 > Can I summarise my advice as:
61 >
62 > Don't migrate a single package to ~arch just for the fun of it.
63 >
64 > ??
65 >
66 > I'm pretty sure you yourself have said in the past to either run stable or
67 > ~arch, but not to mess around with unmasking the odd single or couple of
68 > packages here or there. I agree with you, on this occasion.
69
70 I never said in this thread that anyone should not do that. I generally do
71 advise people to stick with one or the other by and large.
72
73 > When "the devs decide to flip a keyword" then the documentation for the
74 > Openrc migration will be at its best. The migration will be fully
75 > supported for stable users, and there will be lots of discussion about it
76 > here. It will be the best time to make the switch.
77 >
78 > Stroller.
81 > PS: please don't CC me on messages to the list.
84 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com