From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] baselayout --> openrc ?
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 22:44:10
1 On 22 Oct 2010, at 21:32, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > ...
3 > Did you and I read the same mail thread? I read all of it - did you?
4
5 Apparently you have poorer reading comprehension that I do:
6
7 >> That Gentoo-dev thread was 3 or 4 months ago, and I haven't read all of it
8 >> today.
9
10 I would stand by my advice:
11
12 >> ... I would discourage anyone in stable
13 >> from migrating to Openrc unless they need to, or unless they're deciding
14 >> to run entirely ~arch packages on their system. From my understanding I
15 >> would "wait and see", and migrate when the devs decide the time is right
16 >> for a mass migration of stable users.
17
18 This is all totally irrelevant:
19
20 > That's a straw man argument. Roy left Gentoo because of conflicts between his
21 > wish to be 100% POSIX compliant ...
22 > Roy did not leave openrc development becuase it's a lost cause
23
24 and it has nothing to do with what I said. My advice was made in response to Neil's comment:
25
26 >>> you may as well do the upgrade when you feel like it rather that when
27 >>> the devs decide to flip a keyword.
28
29 I've snipped that to an even tighter crop, so that you don't miss what he said.
30
31 Can I summarise my advice as:
32
33 Don't migrate a single package to ~arch just for the fun of it.
34
35 ??
36
37 I'm pretty sure you yourself have said in the past to either run stable or ~arch, but not to mess around with unmasking the odd single or couple of packages here or there. I agree with you, on this occasion.
38
39 When "the devs decide to flip a keyword" then the documentation for the Openrc migration will be at its best. The migration will be fully supported for stable users, and there will be lots of discussion about it here. It will be the best time to make the switch.
40
41 Stroller.
44 PS: please don't CC me on messages to the list.