From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] baselayout --> openrc ?
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 20:32:18
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 18:19 on Friday 22 October 2010, Stroller did
2 opine thusly:
3
4 > On 22 Oct 2010, at 12:29, Neil Bothwick wrote:
5 > > ... Openrc will be stabilised at some time,
6 > > so you may as well do the upgrade when you feel like it rather that when
7 > > the devs decide to flip a keyword.
8 >
9 > I thought this was a matter of debate - Openrc was IIRC the creation of Roy
10 > Marples, who was originally a Gentoo dev and the baselayout maintainer.
11 >
12 > As Roy developed baselayout 2 (or "baselayout - The Next Generation", as
13 > you might call it) he decided to generalise it, AFAICT, in order to make
14 > it useful to other distros or unices (e.g. the BSDs).
15 >
16 > Roy is no longer a Gentoo dev and is no longer maintaining Openrc:
17 > http://roy.marples.name/projects/openrc
18 >
19 > I understood the future of Openrc within Gentoo to be in question:
20 > http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/msg_ce55de133ca592b638db758c9e457370.
21 > xml or http://tinyurl.com/3xglcqb
22
23 Did you and I read the same mail thread? I read all of it - did you?
24
25 The end result of that is not that there is a question over openrc, it is that
26 openrc will proceed. And anyone else that wants to pursue systemd or any other
27 init system is free to go ahead and show up on gentoo-dev with running code.
28 Meanwhile, openrc is where it's going.
29
30 The thread started with someone wondering about openrc; I disagree with your
31 conclusion about where it ended.
32 >
33 > Roy is the author, his own words:
34 > The fact that several people said they would attempt a
35 > stable push and then gave up (I was one - lol) says quite a
36 > bit really.
37 >
38 > That Gentoo-dev thread was 3 or 4 months ago, and I haven't read all of it
39 > today. But based on my understanding, I would discourage anyone in stable
40 > from migrating to Openrc unless they need to, or unless they're deciding
41 > to run entirely ~arch packages on their system. From my understanding I
42 > would "wait and see", and migrate when the devs decide the time is right
43 > for a mass migration of stable users.
44
45 That's a straw man argument. Roy left Gentoo because of conflicts between his
46 wish to be 100% POSIX compliant and most everyone else thinking they should
47 just stick with bashisms and gentooisms. Which is kinda reasonable considering
48 that portage REQUIRES bash.
49
50 Roy did not leave openrc development becuase it's a lost cause. He left
51 apparently because it stopped being fun - the usual (and often only valid)
52 case for such things.
56 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com