From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] baselayout --> openrc ?
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 20:53:01
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > Apparently, though unproven, at 18:19 on Friday 22 October 2010, Stroller did
3 > opine thusly:
6 >> On 22 Oct 2010, at 12:29, Neil Bothwick wrote:
7 >>
8 >>> ... Openrc will be stabilised at some time,
9 >>> so you may as well do the upgrade when you feel like it rather that when
10 >>> the devs decide to flip a keyword.
11 >>>
12 >> I thought this was a matter of debate - Openrc was IIRC the creation of Roy
13 >> Marples, who was originally a Gentoo dev and the baselayout maintainer.
14 >>
15 >> As Roy developed baselayout 2 (or "baselayout - The Next Generation", as
16 >> you might call it) he decided to generalise it, AFAICT, in order to make
17 >> it useful to other distros or unices (e.g. the BSDs).
18 >>
19 >> Roy is no longer a Gentoo dev and is no longer maintaining Openrc:
20 >> http://roy.marples.name/projects/openrc
21 >>
22 >> I understood the future of Openrc within Gentoo to be in question:
23 >> http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/msg_ce55de133ca592b638db758c9e457370.
24 >> xml or http://tinyurl.com/3xglcqb
25 >>
26 > Did you and I read the same mail thread? I read all of it - did you?
27 >
28 > The end result of that is not that there is a question over openrc, it is that
29 > openrc will proceed. And anyone else that wants to pursue systemd or any other
30 > init system is free to go ahead and show up on gentoo-dev with running code.
31 > Meanwhile, openrc is where it's going.
32 >
33 > The thread started with someone wondering about openrc; I disagree with your
34 > conclusion about where it ended.
37 That was what I recalled about the openrc discussion too. It is coming
38 but just not sure when. Me, I'm not switching until it starts getting
39 closer to that time. It, like some of the newer versions of portage,
40 appears to be stable and is used by many people but is not marked stable
41 yet. Both of those sort of confuse me sometimes.
42
43 I'm just hoping that when the switch comes, it is painless.
44
45 Dale
46