From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] two ati-drivers packages using --deep --update
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 20:17:03
1 On 11/7/05, Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl> wrote:
2 > Mark Knecht schreef:
5 > Problem here-- afaik-- is that the drivers-extra package is hooked to
6 > the drivers package of the same version.
7 >
8 > The --deep update of the drivers-extra package requires the 'same'
9 > version of the drivers package as it itself is numbered.
10 >
11 > What I don't understand is why you are not getting drivers-extra-8.18.8,
12 > but only 8.14.13.
13
14 Nor I, also eix is only showing these:
15
16 lightning ~ # eix ati-drivers-extra
17 * media-video/ati-drivers-extra
18 Available versions: 8.14.13 *8.16.20
19 Installed: none
20 Homepage: http://www.ati.com
24 Found 1 matches
25 lightning ~ #
26
27 I had been assuming 8.16.20 goes with ati-drivers-8.18.8, but maybe not...
30 > And I definitely don't know how the double "upgrade" would work, except
31 > that it would likely be an upgrade/downgrade (but not shown as such
32 > because the upgrade has not yet been performed).
33 >
34 > emerge -p ati-drivers ati-drivers-extra
35 >
36 > These are the packages that I would merge, in order:
37 >
38 > Calculating dependencies ...done!
39 > [ebuild R ] media-video/ati-drivers-8.18.8-r1
40 > [ebuild R ] media-video/ati-drivers-extra-8.18.8
41 >
42 > Do you maybe have a mask on ati-drivers-extra?
43 >
44 > Holly
45
46 No masking here. The only package I've masked is Wine as per your
47 suggestion the other day. These are entries in
48 /etc/portage/package.keywords. Nothing in portage.use.
49
50 media-video/ati-drivers ~amd64
51 media-video/ati-drivers-extra ~amd64
52
53 >From someone on the LKML I found out that the ATI binary drivers won't
54 work on a 64-bit kernel so this is suddently not such an issue for me.
55
56 Thanks Holly!
57
58 Cheers,