From: Ryan Tandy <tarpman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [Not specifically Gentoo] Forcing a new IP address with DHCP
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2005 01:12:19
3 >Good afternoon,
7 It's evening here, but I get the general idea. :)
8
9 >I have a Linksys WRT54GS router running openWRT firmware that gets its
10 >IP via DHCP from my ISP. That's all working fine. I also have an account
11 >with dyndns.org that is supposed to get updated when my IP changes. This
12 >is where I've screwed something up because it's wasn't. I think I have
13 >it configured properly now, but won't know until my IP changes again.
17 In the configuration on the dyndns website, enter an IP for your entry
18 that you know is wrong. Wait the interval you configured and see if it
19 updates to the correct one. Also, there should be an option somewhere
20 to force your dyndns client to update immediately, but I'd recommend
21 waiting the interval just to make sure that works too. Maybe turn it
22 down to 5 minutes or something to reduce the wait. ;)
23
24 >I'm going on the road for a few weeks, and will need to access my home
25 >machine, so I'd like to test this out.
26 >
27 >So, first off, is there a way for the network startup script to say
28 >
29 >"Expire this lease and give me a different IP address"?
32 man udhcpc
33
34 I use the ISC dhclient (net-misc/dhcp), which can be signalled to
35 release and renew its IP lease. There should be an option in any client
36 to release its IP lease and renew it again, but your ISP will usually
37 give you the same one anyway if it's available - and there's no way to
38 tell it not to do that.
39
40 >If not, is anyone here familiar with openWRT, udhcpc, ez-ipupdate and dyddns.org
41 >configurations? I'd be glad to take this offline if it's too un-Gentoo
42 >specific.
45 no, no, no, and yes. I run ddclient on my Gentoo router to update my
46 dyndns entry (tarpman.homelinux.com).
47
48 >Thanks,
49 >John
54 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list