From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] /var/db gone: possible opportunity to switch profile
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2011 20:12:09
1 On Sat, 10 Sep 2011 16:41:39 -0300
2 Francisco Ares <frares@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Hi All,
5 >
6 > I have managed to delete /var/db. I know this was a very stupid thing
7 > to be done, but now it is done and /var/db is gone for good.
8 >
9 > Well, that is a good opportunity to have everything built again, time
10 > to try new CFLAGS, and so on.
11 >
12 > But there is a circular dependency that I do not know how to get rid
13 > of: "glibc" and "gcc" depend on each other. They are both here, but
14 > portage does not know that.
15 >
16 > How am I supposed to go on?
17 >
18 > By the way, I have a Pentium Core 2 Quad and I am using a "x86"
19 > profile. How would I switch to a "amd64" ? As far as I know, my
20 > processor is capable of this.
21
22 As Michael replied elsewhere, this is hard. It may even be almost
23 impossible and it's definitely not trivial.
24
25 You intend to rebuild everything anyway, I would recommend you install
26 over the old system and retain /etc/portage and the world file. Then
27 emerge -e world.
28
29 This will take you about 30 minutes longer than rebuilding world if you
30 hadn't taken out /var/db - one of the few cases where a re-install
31 really is the correct thing to do. Good luck.
36 Alan McKinnnon
37 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com