From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] Seamonkey and LastPass
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 06:17:14
1 chrome://messenger/locale/messengercompose/composeMsgs.properties:
2 > On Sat, 2009-11-28 at 20:44 -0600, Dale wrote:
3 > ...
4 >
5 >> Another situation I was thinking about. Let's say it is as secure as
6 >> they CLAIM it to be. If someone stole my puter, I could go to lostpass
7 >> and change the master password or just close the account. Then even my
8 >> computer would be useless to them. From my understanding you have to
9 >> type in the master password from time to time. If it is changed through
10 >> the website, I'm sure it would require it to be re-entered.
13 > ...
14 >
15 > Give most competent techs your machine and the data is theirs - unless
16 > you have taken some extreme precautions. Standard IBM hardware is not
17 > designed to be secure, and with the exception of some laptops (which in
18 > most cases, things like encryption via the IDE interface available on
19 > some Dell's and others, isnt even turned on!), most of those are not
20 > either.
21 >
22 > Lostpass looks ideal for those who lose/forget/do not really understand
23 > what passwords are about - its better than the alternatives such people
24 > come up with (a common, easily guessed password, or none if they can get
25 > away with it). Got something valuable/want to keep private, dont use
26 > them, or some of the google apps and others.
27 >
28 > In fact, I know of some who have a separate, locked down a/c on their
29 > machines just for banking - no browsing (and no extraneous browser
30 > plugins) to other sites etc. - safer! (and relatively simple to do and
31 > manage under nix)
32 >
33 > BillK
36 It is true that if a person breaks in and takes your puter, they can do
37 anything they want. I'm sure there are some that can set up their
38 system so that grub can't be edited without a password and the file
39 system is encrypted but then again, they may take the time to actually
40 type in a really long secure password for each site too.
41
42 Lastpass is a good start but having something on the net having access
43 is what made me post here to begin with. I would like to have something
44 that is close to what lastpass does but just locally or something that
45 is confirmed my independent review. If the code was reviewed by someone
46 we all know can be trusted, like the Seamonkey folks, or it was open
47 source for all to see, then that would help. People that know
48 programing can put their approval stamp on it that it works and does
49 what it says it does and nothing else.
50
51 For me, I wouldn't usually forget a password but if a person got the
52 password for my checking account, then they would have the password for
53 the rest. I sort of have passwords based on the strength I need. My
54 longest and hardest to guess is my checking and credit card. Things
55 like my email, forums, b.g.o and others could be guessed if someone
56 wanted to try it. I would like to be able to have really long and
57 secure for them all but I would get bored of all the typing and having
58 to keep up with different ones for each site.
59
60 It's funny, the one thing that helps us keep out stuff safe is the most
61 difficult to manage.
62
63 Dale
64