From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What's the best way to force a particular version of a dependency
Date: Sun, 07 Jun 2020 21:31:11
1 On 7 June 2020 21:30:19 CEST, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 >On Sun, Jun 7, 2020 at 2:56 PM n952162 <n952162@×××.de> wrote:
5 >> $ equery list \* | grep readline
6 >> sys-libs/readline-7.0_p5-r1
7 >>
8 >> But, given your answer about exclusivity/inclusivity in the other
9 >thread, I guess this result is questionable...
10 >
11 >This is just showing what version you have installed, not what
12 >versions are available.
15 >> The ebuild for bash-5.0_p17 has:
16 >>
17 >> READLINE_VER="8.0"
18 >>
19 >> The ebuilds for other the other users don't, I believe.
20 >
21 >So, first, this is just a random local variable and has no meaning in
22 >and of itself. It is used in the dependency string which makes that
23 >version of bash dependent on readline v8 specifically. Other packages
24 >that don't list a version of readline will accept any version that
25 >isn't masked/etc. So they're fine with v8.
28 >> The emerge that I used was this:
29 >>
30 >> emerge -auDv --verbose-conflicts --changed-use --keep-going
31 >--with-bdeps=y --changed-deps --backtrack=100 @system
32 >
33 >Yeah, you might have to include the other packages that need readline
34 >if portage complains.
37 >> However, I was just able to get it to build with this script:
38 >>
39 >> $ cat update-readline
40 >> #!/usr/bin/env bash
41 >> emerge -uUv $(cat <<-eof
42 >> sys-libs/readline
43 >> dev-db/postgresql
44 >> sys-apps/gawk
45 >> net-wireless/wpa_supplicant
46 >> sys-fs/lvm2
47 >> dev-lang/python
48 >> dev-lang/lua
49 >> sci-visualization/gnuplot
50 >> dev-db/postgresql
51 >> app-text/hunspell
52 >> sys-fs/udftools
53 >> sys-block/parted
54 >> x11-wm/fvwm
55 >> net-misc/ntp
56 >> sys-devel/gdb
57 >> dev-db/postgresql
58 >> sys-libs/gdbm
59 >> net-mail/mailutils
60 >> app-misc/rlwrap
61 >> sys-devel/bc
62 >> dev-libs/libxml2
63 >> net-dns/bind-tools
64 >> eof
65 >> )
68 >That will probably work. Offhand I'm not sure if you need to add -1 /
69 >--oneshot to that to prevent all that cruft from being added to your
70 >world file.
71
72 You need to add "-1" or "--oneshot".
73
74 As this has been used, I would definitely expect the world-file to be full of this, causing issues with updates later.
75
76 Also, by restricting to @system, any packages not in @system with a restriction on readline V8 will cause the mentioned problem.
77
78 @system is, for me, a lasr resort, but I tend to move my world file away (rename) and put it back once @system is done and a depclean finished. This is usually only needed after not updating for a while and/or big changes in the tree.
81 Joost
82 --
83 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.