From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What's the best way to force a particular version of a dependency
Date: Sun, 07 Jun 2020 19:30:39
1 On Sun, Jun 7, 2020 at 2:56 PM n952162 <n952162@×××.de> wrote:
4 > $ equery list \* | grep readline
5 > sys-libs/readline-7.0_p5-r1
6 >
7 > But, given your answer about exclusivity/inclusivity in the other thread, I guess this result is questionable...
8
9 This is just showing what version you have installed, not what
10 versions are available.
13 > The ebuild for bash-5.0_p17 has:
14 >
15 > READLINE_VER="8.0"
16 >
17 > The ebuilds for other the other users don't, I believe.
18
19 So, first, this is just a random local variable and has no meaning in
20 and of itself. It is used in the dependency string which makes that
21 version of bash dependent on readline v8 specifically. Other packages
22 that don't list a version of readline will accept any version that
23 isn't masked/etc. So they're fine with v8.
26 > The emerge that I used was this:
27 >
28 > emerge -auDv --verbose-conflicts --changed-use --keep-going --with-bdeps=y --changed-deps --backtrack=100 @system
29
30 Yeah, you might have to include the other packages that need readline
31 if portage complains.
34 > However, I was just able to get it to build with this script:
35 >
36 > $ cat update-readline
37 > #!/usr/bin/env bash
38 > emerge -uUv $(cat <<-eof
39 > sys-libs/readline
40 > dev-db/postgresql
41 > sys-apps/gawk
42 > net-wireless/wpa_supplicant
43 > sys-fs/lvm2
44 > dev-lang/python
45 > dev-lang/lua
46 > sci-visualization/gnuplot
47 > dev-db/postgresql
48 > app-text/hunspell
49 > sys-fs/udftools
50 > sys-block/parted
51 > x11-wm/fvwm
52 > net-misc/ntp
53 > sys-devel/gdb
54 > dev-db/postgresql
55 > sys-libs/gdbm
56 > net-mail/mailutils
57 > app-misc/rlwrap
58 > sys-devel/bc
59 > dev-libs/libxml2
60 > net-dns/bind-tools
61 > eof
62 > )
65 That will probably work. Offhand I'm not sure if you need to add -1 /
66 --oneshot to that to prevent all that cruft from being added to your
67 world file.
70 Rich