From: n952162 <n952162@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What's the best way to force a particular version of a dependency
Date: Sun, 07 Jun 2020 19:01:58
1 On 2020-06-07 20:33, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sun, Jun 7, 2020 at 2:16 PM n952162 <n952162@×××.de> wrote:
3 >> When I try to update @system after --sync-ing, I get a conflict on readline.
4 >>
5 >> Bash wants readline 8.0 but the profile specifies readline 7.0 and lots of other packages are linked against 7.0. Just rebuilding those packages probably won't help, because they don't know about readline 8.0.
6 >>
7 >> Would the right thing, the easiest thing, be to define my own profile 17.1.1 or something, where I specify readline 8.0 in the profile?
8 > Why do you think that your profile specifies readline 7.0? What
9 > profile are you using?
10
11     $ eselect profile show
12     Current /etc/portage/make.profile symlink:
13       default/linux/amd64/17.1
14
15      $ equery list \* | grep readline
16      sys-libs/readline-7.0_p5-r1
17
18 But, given your answer about exclusivity/inclusivity in the other
19 thread, I guess this result is questionable...
24 > As far as I'm aware no profile restricts readline versions.
25 >
26 > What makes you think that those other packages "don't know about readline 8.0?"
29 The ebuild for bash-5.0_p17 has:
30
31   READLINE_VER="8.0"
32
33 The ebuilds for other the other users don't, I believe.
37 > Full command outputs along with emerge --info would probably help here.
38 >
39 > Readline 8.0 is stable so few if any packages in the tree will have
40 > problems with it. If you're getting errors it is probably because
41 > you're trying to do a limited update and not giving portage the option
42 > to rebuild every impacted package.
45 The emerge that I used was this:
46
47 emerge -auDv --verbose-conflicts --changed-use --keep-going
48 --with-bdeps=y --changed-deps --backtrack=100 @system
49
50 However, I was just able to get it to build with this script:
51
52 $ cat update-readline
53 #!/usr/bin/env bash
54 emerge -uUv $(cat <<-eof
55 sys-libs/readline
56 dev-db/postgresql
57 sys-apps/gawk
58 net-wireless/wpa_supplicant
59 sys-fs/lvm2
60 dev-lang/python
61 dev-lang/lua
62 sci-visualization/gnuplot
63 dev-db/postgresql
64 app-text/hunspell
65 sys-fs/udftools
66 sys-block/parted
67 x11-wm/fvwm
68 net-misc/ntp
69 sys-devel/gdb
70 dev-db/postgresql
71 sys-libs/gdbm
72 net-mail/mailutils
73 app-misc/rlwrap
74 sys-devel/bc
75 dev-libs/libxml2
76 net-dns/bind-tools
77 eof
78 )
79
80 I have had mixed luck with putting all of the colliding packages on a
81 single emerge line - it worked this time.
82
83 I can supply the "emerge --info" but that /emerge/ above is still
84 working so I'll let it complete first.