From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What's the best way to force a particular version of a dependency
Date: Sun, 07 Jun 2020 18:33:59
1 On Sun, Jun 7, 2020 at 2:16 PM n952162 <n952162@×××.de> wrote:
2 >
3 > When I try to update @system after --sync-ing, I get a conflict on readline.
4 >
5 > Bash wants readline 8.0 but the profile specifies readline 7.0 and lots of other packages are linked against 7.0. Just rebuilding those packages probably won't help, because they don't know about readline 8.0.
6 >
7 > Would the right thing, the easiest thing, be to define my own profile 17.1.1 or something, where I specify readline 8.0 in the profile?
8
9 Why do you think that your profile specifies readline 7.0? What
10 profile are you using?
11
12 As far as I'm aware no profile restricts readline versions.
13
14 What makes you think that those other packages "don't know about readline 8.0?"
15
16 Full command outputs along with emerge --info would probably help here.
17
18 Readline 8.0 is stable so few if any packages in the tree will have
19 problems with it. If you're getting errors it is probably because
20 you're trying to do a limited update and not giving portage the option
21 to rebuild every impacted package.
24 Rich