From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: boot to console (text) mode
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2008 22:51:55
1 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 > You may want to check /etc/rc.conf and make sure it is not starting
4 > there. I'm assuming you want to boot to the default level but just not
5 > wanting the GUI to start. You may want search for softlevel and add
6 > that to your boot loader.
7
8 Thanks... yes /etc/rc.conf was the culprit What I see about softlevel,
9 using google ,it appears to be more involved than what I need. It
10 must be a tool in a larger package since eix doesn't know about it on
11 up to date portage, but I see mention of it with google.
12
13 > This sort of depends on why you are doing this and if it is a often
14 > used thing or just once in a blue moon.
15
16 It's been my practice for many years to boot into text mode since
17 more often than not, what I need to do can be done comfortably there.
18 So I've always choosen to use startx as needed.
19
20 That will now be possible since I can now control what happens with
21 ~/.xinitrc. Another old practice I've clung to.