From: reader@×××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: A pared down kernel config
Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2008 17:26:39
1 "Hemmann, Volker Armin" <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de> writes:
2
3 > On Samstag, 5. Januar 2008, reader@×××××××.com wrote:
4 >
5 > you want to read this:
6 > http://www.kroah.com/lkn/
7
8 Thanks... I'm getting started now.
9
10 > configuring a kernel is a matter of minutes. And seconds, if you just copy
11 > over the old config and do 'make oldconfig'.
12
13 Yeah if you do that... but if you want to go through and look at all the
14 different stuff and try to understand.... the minutes, and seconds
15 theory is history.
16
17 > It is not hard - the first time read all the help texts and think about them.
18 > That is the hardest part. Do you really need I2O? Almost nobody does. I2C?
19 > Yes. ...
20
21 You are clearly on a much different plain than I.
22 `Read all the help texts and think about them.' If you can do that and
23 feel you've understood even a small portion of it, that puts you way
24 up the knowledge ladder compared to us lesser endowed.
25
26 Unless you mean all those places that say `if unsure just say yes'.
27 Or better yet those that say:
28 `There is no help available for this kernel option.'
29
30 Here is a good one.
31 CONFIG_PARAVIRT:
32 |
33 | Paravirtualization is a way of running multiple instances of
34 | Linux on the same machine, under a hypervisor. This option
35 | changes the kernel so it can modify itself when it is run
36 | under a hypervisor, improving performance significantly.
37 | However, when run without a hypervisor the kernel is
38 | theoretically slower. If in doubt, say N.
39
40 Unless you are talking about the last `If in doubt...'
41 Then you are stuck figuring out what on earth a hypervisor is.
42
43 Or here:
44
45 | CONFIG_HPET_TIMER:
46 |
47 | This enables the use of the HPET for the kernel's internal timer.
48 | HPET is the next generation timer replacing legacy 8254s.
49 | You can safely choose Y here. However, HPET will only be
50 | activated if the platform and the BIOS support this feature.
51 | Otherwise the 8254 will be used for timing services.
52
53 Unless you mean `You can safely choose Y here' then you have a few
54 days work figuring out what any of that means.
55
56 This goes on and on through the menus..
57 So no.. I don't think we are dealing with minutes here.
58
59 If you mean you can get it done if you just skip all of that.... then
60 yes it might be minutes.
61
62 If you wanted to pare down all the junk that is in a default
63 config... now you are taking days even weeks to get a handle on that.
64
65 At least it would be for the `intellectually challenged' like me..
66
67 Thanks again... that looks like a good start.
70 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list