From: "Hemmann
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: A pared down kernel config
Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2008 17:43:10
1 On Samstag, 5. Januar 2008, reader@×××××××.com wrote:
2 > "Hemmann, Volker Armin" <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de> writes:
3 > > On Samstag, 5. Januar 2008, reader@×××××××.com wrote:
4 > >
5 > > you want to read this:
6 > > http://www.kroah.com/lkn/
7 >
8 > Thanks... I'm getting started now.
9 >
10 > > configuring a kernel is a matter of minutes. And seconds, if you just
11 > > copy over the old config and do 'make oldconfig'.
12 >
13 > Yeah if you do that... but if you want to go through and look at all the
14 > different stuff and try to understand.... the minutes, and seconds
15 > theory is history.
16
17 even than it does not take that ling.
20 > > It is not hard - the first time read all the help texts and think about
21 > > them. That is the hardest part. Do you really need I2O? Almost nobody
22 > > does. I2C? Yes. ...
23 >
24 > You are clearly on a much different plain than I.
25 > `Read all the help texts and think about them.' If you can do that and
26 > feel you've understood even a small portion of it, that puts you way
27 > up the knowledge ladder compared to us lesser endowed.
28
29 you have to start somewhere. When compiled my first kernel (2.2.14) nobody
30 hold my hand - and I needed several tries to get a booting one. But over the
31 years a lot of experience accumulates. Do I need fibrechannel? Certainly not.
34 > Unless you mean all those places that say `if unsure just say yes'.
35
36 is there better help? If you don't know what to do, say yes. Easy!
37
38 > Or better yet those that say:
39 > `There is no help available for this kernel option.'
40
41 there are only very few of those - and usually it is best to let them
42 unchanged.
43 >
44 > Here is a good one.
45 >
46 > CONFIG_PARAVIRT:
47 > | Paravirtualization is a way of running multiple instances of
48 > | Linux on the same machine, under a hypervisor. This option
49 > | changes the kernel so it can modify itself when it is run
50 > | under a hypervisor, improving performance significantly.
51 > | However, when run without a hypervisor the kernel is
52 > | theoretically slower. If in doubt, say N.
53 >
54 > Unless you are talking about the last `If in doubt...'
55 > Then you are stuck figuring out what on earth a hypervisor is.
56
57 Nope, the helptext tells you exactly what it does. And it tells you, that you
58 can say no, if you don't know what to do here.
61 > Or here:
62 > | CONFIG_HPET_TIMER:
63 > |
64 > | This enables the use of the HPET for the kernel's internal timer.
65 > | HPET is the next generation timer replacing legacy 8254s.
66 > | You can safely choose Y here. However, HPET will only be
67 > | activated if the platform and the BIOS support this feature.
68 > | Otherwise the 8254 will be used for timing services.
69 >
70 > Unless you mean `You can safely choose Y here' then you have a few
71 > days work figuring out what any of that means.
72
73 no, you have some SECONDS to figure it out:
74 gg:hpet
75 (with konqueror).
76 And what is wrong with 'you can safely choose Y here'? It tells you that it
77 does not harm to turn it on. So why turn it off? Why think about it, if you
78 don't know what a hpet is (btw, hpet is also explained in detail in the
79 Documentation directory. a single grep -R hpet /usr/src/linux/Documentation
80 would show you where).
83 > This goes on and on through the menus..
84 > So no.. I don't think we are dealing with minutes here.
85
86 you can, if you accept that you should use the recommended choice, expet when
87 ou knmow what you are doing.
90 > If you mean you can get it done if you just skip all of that.... then
91 > yes it might be minutes.
92 >
93 > If you wanted to pare down all the junk that is in a default
94 > config... now you are taking days even weeks to get a handle on that.
95
96 to de-junk a default config - even if you don't know what you do, is in realm
97 of half an hour to an hour. If you read everything.
100 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list