From: reader@×××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: A pared down kernel config
Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2008 18:27:19
1 "Hemmann, Volker Armin" <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de> writes:
2
3 I think this is heading in direction different from what I intended.
4
5 You seem to be arguing that it can be done quickly... I don't disagree
6 with you. If like you say you mostly follow what ever is default
7 unless you know what you are doing. But if that is what you do then
8 genkernel is even quicker... Not in compile time but to decide is not
9 more than `genkernal all'.
10
11 So I haven't been saying it can't be done quickly. (If you depend
12 largely on defaults). The os designers have seen to it that the
13 defaults will produce a working kernel. And they are pretty good at
14 it.
15
16 I'm not complaining that the process provided is overly hard. (If you
17 mostly follow defaults)
18
19 In the very first post I said:
20
21 >> For 8 or 9 yrs now I've mostly skirted the issue by using defaults.
22
23 That is all you suggest too. Skirt the issue by using defaults.
24
25 >> If you wanted to pare down all the junk that is in a default
26 >> config... now you are taking days even weeks to get a handle on that.
27 >
28 > to de-junk a default config - even if you don't know what you do, is
29 > in realm of half an hour to an hour. If you read everything.
30
31 Do you have a de-junked .config that I can diff against the
32 default.. it would be a way to see what kinds of things get dropped.
35 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list