From: Teresa and Dale <teendale@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Change profile
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2006 17:41:16
1 Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:
2
3 >On Friday 02 June 2006 16:00, Neil Bothwick wrote:
6 >>On Fri, 2 Jun 2006 15:44:46 +0200, Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:
9 >>>>--deep is an option, and I understand why you choose not to use it,
10 >>>>but on this occasion it is necessary to accomplish the OP's goal.
11 >>>>
12 >>>>
13 >>>and I really do not believe that ;)
14 >>>
15 >>>
16 >>Believe what you like, I am relating direct experiences here. Faith has
17 >>nothing to do with it.
21 >>>If a package is 'hit' by the new flag, --newuse should cover it. With
22 >>>or without --deep-
23 >>>
24 >>>
25 >>When run with --update only, emerge considers only those packages listed
26 >>in world and their direct dependencies. Lower level dependencies won't be
27 >>looked at, so portage won;t pick up the changed USE flag.
28 >>
29 >>From the man page
30 >>
31 >>--deep (-D)
32 >>
33 >>When used in conjunction with --update, this flag forces emerge to
34 >>consider the entire dependency tree of packages, instead of checking only
35 >>the immediate dependencies of the packages. As an example, this catches
36 >>updates in libraries that are not directly listed in the dependencies of
37 >>a package.
41 >UPDATES
42 >
43 >not NEWUSE
44 >
45 >also from man emerge:
46 > --newuse (-N)
47 > Tells emerge to include installed packages where USE flags have
48 > changed since compilation. An asterisk marks when a USE flag
49 > has changed since the package was compiled.
52 >and I have seen 'far away' dependencies, that got rebuild, without deep!
56 It seems me and Neil has seen times where it didn't. I have used -D
57 several times and it has not caused me any problems.
58
59 Dale
61 --
62 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list