From: "Hemmann
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Change profile
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2006 17:10:17
1 On Friday 02 June 2006 16:00, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Fri, 2 Jun 2006 15:44:46 +0200, Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:
3 > > > --deep is an option, and I understand why you choose not to use it,
4 > > > but on this occasion it is necessary to accomplish the OP's goal.
5 > >
6 > > and I really do not believe that ;)
7 >
8 > Believe what you like, I am relating direct experiences here. Faith has
9 > nothing to do with it.
10 >
11 > > If a package is 'hit' by the new flag, --newuse should cover it. With
12 > > or without --deep-
13 >
14 > When run with --update only, emerge considers only those packages listed
15 > in world and their direct dependencies. Lower level dependencies won't be
16 > looked at, so portage won;t pick up the changed USE flag.
17 >
18 > From the man page
19 >
20 > --deep (-D)
21 >
22 > When used in conjunction with --update, this flag forces emerge to
23 > consider the entire dependency tree of packages, instead of checking only
24 > the immediate dependencies of the packages. As an example, this catches
25 > updates in libraries that are not directly listed in the dependencies of
26 > a package.
27
28 UPDATES
29
30 not NEWUSE
31
32 also from man emerge:
33 --newuse (-N)
34 Tells emerge to include installed packages where USE flags have
35 changed since compilation. An asterisk marks when a USE flag
36 has changed since the package was compiled.
39 and I have seen 'far away' dependencies, that got rebuild, without deep!
40 --
41 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list